Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
The name Radically Eccentric says it all! Google radically then eccentric and you will get it!! I am just a young college grad seeking the Lord with all I have.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gym Membership ... Is It Worth It?

So in this post, I am going to be a little selfish, and talk about me. The only time I am ever really selfish is when it comes to sharing my mom and with eating cupcakes, so I figure this one time on my blog is okay [me being a "Christian"].
--------
So when I was in college, I had access to FREE workout classes, and a gym. It was called the intramural. When I didn't want to go there I could easily go into town and pay $1 at the recreation center to go to Zumba. Boy was that the life. I didn't workout everyday, but I worked out enough to maintain my size and in the process, I got to blow of weekly shenanigans.

Fast forward two months and you get a stressed blubber gubber Zoporia. Since I've graduated college and moved back to the city to join the real world, I have deeply deeply missed my free workouts. But being as frugal as I am, I vowed I would never join a gym and would just workout own my own by walking my dog Chester, and doing sit-ups somewhere in between it all.
Needless to say, I never did a sit-up and on the cold days Chester never got walked. He was happy with running around like a manic in the backyard. Since the economy is bad and I try to live my life as simple as possible, there was no way I would be stupid enough to waste my money on a gym membership. It just wasn't worth it, no matter how I tried to serve it up on a silver dish. I felt like a gym membership was a commodity and not a necessity, and I would rather risk being a gummby bummby dealing with everybody's shenanigans.


After being like that for two months, I decided to go into LA Fitness (after driving by it endlessly) to check out the prices and the facility. I fell in love with the facility, but not the prices. I came home and contemplated heavily on the pros and cons of a membership. Here's my list:

PROS:
Stress relief  
Different choices
Banging body
Routine

CONS:
Price
Price
Price
Price
Which was still about even, and hard to make a decision based on. There is one thing that stuck out on my PROS list that convinced me to get my butt to the gym and sign up. Banging body. I know you probably overlooked it, but if I put it in this sense you will understand why. 1 Corinthians 6:19- 20 states, "19 Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. " (NLT)

The apostle Paul clearly warns us to treat our body like a temple, and I'm not limiting this verse to being sexually impure as some do. If  I am a firm believer in the Bible, and I treat my body like a temple in every other aspect, why would I not get a gym membership for the continuation of exercise, that will eventually better my health. I'm not saying that a gym membership is for everybody, but if I know that I am not motivated to exercise on my own using my own resources, then a gym membership is the best for me regardless of the price.

Knowing that Matthew 6:19-20 says, 19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be. " (NLT) I have to stop being with foolish with money and storing it up here as if it's going to be mine forever. I have to know that it's okay to spend a little each month in order to invest in a "BANGING BODY"

I also have to be confident in Luke 12: 29-32, and to know that if I stay in God, I can have access to the Kingdom, and all the things that come with it.

BTW in no way am I saying to be completely stupid!

Until next time,

Zoporia <3


No comments:

Post a Comment